When a tooth is damaged beyond repair, either from decay or disease, it should be removed to maintain overall oral health and prevent the damage from spreading. The removal of a tooth is called a tooth extraction. This treatment is also done to ease pain. Under the direction of Dr. Brown, our dental team provides gentle and caring attention so any tooth extraction you undergo is as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
In Germantown, Tennessee, tooth extractions are generally performed under local anesthesia. The recovery period should only last a few days, and we will provide you with information on how to care for your smile during the healing process. Below are some of the following measures we suggest:
- Take an over-the-counter painkiller to manage pain, as well as any prescriptions we prescribe.
- If swelling and pain persists for over 24 hours, gently rinse your mouth out several times with warm salt water.
- Eat soft foods, gradually adding solid foods as healing progresses.
- Sleep or lie down with your head propped up on pillows.
After having your tooth extracted, please follow these instructions:
- Place cold towels or an ice bag to your face for the first 6-8 hours. Leave it on 15 minutes, then off for 15 minutes.
- Do not rinse mouth until the following day.
- On the morning following surgery, rinse mouth with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon salt to a glass of warm water). Repeat this several times daily.
- Keep fingers and tongue away from socket.
- Bleeding – it is normal for the saliva to be slightly streaked with blood for about 1-2 days. If abnormal bleeding occurs, place a piece of moist gauze over extraction site and bite down for 30-45 minutes.
- Following dental surgery it is normal to experience some discomfort. If medication has been prescribed, take as instructed.
- Swelling & Stiffness – is normal and should not cause alarm. Apply cold towels or ice bag for 15 minutes of each hour as needed.
- Diet – A liquid or soft diet is advisable during the first 24 hours. Drink lots of fluids.
Return to office if undue symptoms develop.
We also offer multiple restorative and cosmetic dental services to restore the beauty and function of your smile after a tooth has been removed. Our experienced dentist, Dr. Brown, uses great skill and care during each tooth extraction. To learn more about tooth extractions, please contact us at JC Brown DDS today.